One of my guilty pleasures on my journey for a healthier lifestyle has been all the great new recipes that I have been collecting. I am going to share some of my favorites in this section of my blog.
I am a huge fan of holidays, food and festivities always make me happy! So I am getting together some great recipes for this year to have on Cinco de Mayo.
Here is a few of my favorite Mexican recipes that will liven up our Cinco de Mayo Meal!
Salad- Southwestern Watermelon Jicama Salad this one is sure to please and refresh, and is perfect for our private fiesta!
- Half a watermelon, cubed in large bite -sized pieces (approx. 8 cups)
- 1-2 cups diced jicama
- 1 Mango peeled and cubed ( may use frozen cubed if not able to find a fresh mango)
- 1 bunch of cilantro leave, chopped (approx. 3/4 cup)
- Juice of 2-3 limes
- 1 tsp salt ( I use coarse Pink Himalayan Salt)
- 1/4-1/2 tsp black pepper
- Combine all the ingredients in a large serving bowl. Stir to Mix well.
- Cover & refrigerate until chilled.
- Serve cold and enjoy!
Main Entree for my Cinco de Mayo would not be complete without my favorite dish 21 Day Fix Approved Chicken Enchiladas.
Chicken Enchiladas has to be the best meal EVER! ok maybe not as good as my Grannies Arroz con Pollo but it sure is one of my favorites and a go to for my meal prep when I want a dish that I can enjoy for a couple of meals.
- 3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (for 21 day fix use 4 red containiers worth) ( I use rotessierie chicken and shred my chicken to use in this recipe)
- 15 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4oz can of green chilis, drained
- 8oz can of diced tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (for 21 day fix use 1 red container)
- 2 tsp Southwest seasoning
- 10 corn tortillias
- Shredded Cheese (for 21 day fix use 5 blue containers)
- 1 jar of good quality enchilada sauce ( I prefer the Fontera brand or from Trader Joes)
- Cilantro, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine chicken, beans, chilis, tomatoes, yogurt and seasoning in a large bowl. Heat tortillas in microwave before assembling. Add chicken mixture to each tortilla, roll up and place in a baking dish seam side down. Pour enchilada sauce over the enchiladas so that all of the tortillas are covered. Sprinkle evenly with the cheese. Bake for 30 minutes.
Serves: 5, 2 enchiladas per serving. For tracking the 21 Day Fix containers: 1 red, 1 green, 2 yellow, and 1 blue per serving.
Now what kind of Fiesta would this be without the Margarita’s, so I even have your back on this one too! How about a Coconut Margarita or a NorCal Skinny Margarita.
NorCal Skinny Margarita all you need is:
1 shot of tequila, 1 lime, Club Soda or Sparkling Water. ( Actually all I ever use is the flavored LaCroix waters) may add a few drops of Stevia to sweeten just a bit. Traditional Margarita is Lime, so I use the LaCroix Lime water.
For the Coconut Margarita you need:
1 shot tequila, 1 lime, the LaCroix Coconut Flaovered Water, and possibly that drop or two of Stevia.
To dress up your Margarita you can salt the rim of your glass, and add a wedge of lime.
Cheers, or Ola! Happy Cinco de Mayo